Welcome To Lewisham Speakers

Lewisham Speakers, is Multi -Cultural club, in the heart of South East London. With its friendly, supportive encouraging environment, it is perfect for nervous speakers to develop confidence and excellent speaking skills. Just 5 mins walk from Lewisham Train, DLR and Bus Stations.
Lewisham Speakers club is Affiliated to Toastmaster International - world Leaders in improving Communication and Leadership.Greenwich, Canada Water, Woolwich, Canary Wharf, Catford, Croydon, Penge, Locksbottom, Paddington, Sydenham, Bexleyheath, Dulwich, Forest Hill, Sidcup, Eltham, Plumstead, Bexley, New Cross and Central London.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Toastmaster through the eyes of a guest

Lewisham Speakers 3rd Aug 11-02 by Julie70
Flavia with our VPE Katy near her
I attended my first Toastmaster session last Wednesday 3 August.

I learned about Toastmaster through a friend of mine who attended a few years ago and spoke very highly of the society and the benefits he had received from being a member. That conversation took place a few weeks ago, but I just sat on it, as one does sometimes.

I suppose I needed time for the suggestion to seep into my brain!

I have an interest in public speaking and want to improve my ability to speak, so that I get to the point where I am able to speak confidently without notes.

I contacted Julie to get more details about Toastmasters and after an encouraging conversation, I decided to attend the next event. I was very pleasantly surprised by the welcome and I felt the general atmosphere to be warm.

Cheong, Toastmaster of the Evening, introduced himself and even invited me to speak! However, I sat on the fence and shivered in my seat after each speaker finished their speech, hoping that they would run out of time so that I would not have to say anything - there was insufficient time for me - I breathed again.

I was impressed with everyone who spoke and in particular Sally and Ola and to learn that Sally was only on her 4th speech in the programme - well it definitely made me want to join Toastmasters. My aspiration is to eventually to speak as fluently as Sally and Ola.

Flavia, now member of Toastmasters

5 comments:

  1. We are happy that you had a positive experience and enchanted that from now on, you have become one of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Flavia, and I am sure we will have a chance to hear you speak very soon! Well done not just for turning up but also for joining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. does this club still exist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the blog is neglected, but the Lewisham speakers club exists and meets twice a month, indeed. In the centre of Lewisham.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the blog is neglected, but the Lewisham speakers club exists and meets twice a month, indeed. In the centre of Lewisham.

      Delete